National Teacher Day

National Teacher Day Quick Facts

AKA NameTeacher Appreciation Day
HashtagsCompiled on#NationalTeacherDay, #ThankATeacher
Related Hashtags#StudyWithUS, #ThankAGCPSTeacher
2024 DateMay 7, 2024

National Teacher Day

National Teacher Day in
Days to go: 

Top X Posts (formerly Tweets) for National Teacher Day


National Teacher Day History

National Teacher Day is dedicated to celebrating the significant role of educators and expressing appreciation for their invaluable contributions to society. This annual initiative emphasizes the importance of teachers by spotlighting their efforts in shaping minds, fostering curiosity, and instilling a lust for knowledge among millions of students.

The origin of National Teacher Day can be traced back to 1944 when an Arkansas teacher named Mattye Whyte Woodridge began a campaign to establish a national day to honor teachers. Her efforts caught the attention of Eleanor Roosevelt, who in 1953 persuaded the 81st Congress to proclaim a National Teacher Day. Since then, the day continues to be observed with schools and communities organizing various events and activities to celebrate the work of educators including award ceremonies, special lunches, and community gatherings.

The day is a significant part of Teacher Appreciation Week, which takes place in the first full week of May each year. On this day, teachers across the nation are recognized for their commitment and patient endurance in molding the future contributors of society. National Teacher Day is celebrated on the Tuesday of the first full week of May.

Facts & quotes about National Teacher Day

  • According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for high school teachers in 2023 was $63,000.
  • The average teacher works 50 hours per week. This includes time spent planning lessons, grading papers, and communicating with parents.
  • About 76% of teachers in the US work in public schools, while the remaining 24% are employed in private schools. Public school teachers typically have higher salaries and better job security due to union representation and tenure systems.
  • The dream begins, most of the time, with a teacher who believes in you, who tugs and pushes and leads you on to the next plateau, sometimes poking you with a sharp stick called truth - Dan Rather
  • There is an old saying that the course of civilization is a race between catastrophe and education. In a democracy such as ours, we must make sure that education wins the race - John F. Kennedy

Top things to do for National Teacher Day

  • Write a thank-you note to your teacher. A simple thank-you note can go a long way in showing your appreciation for your teacher.
  • Host a breakfast for teachers before school. Try to involve local stores as sponsors.
  • Use the hashtag #ThankATeacher on social media platforms allowing people to publicly thank their favorite teachers and share stories of their impact.
  • Give a personalized gift like a mug, a picture frame, or a customized tote bag with their name or a special message.

Copyright 2002-2024 © Sapro Systems LLC • About Privacy Policy License Terms Corrections & Suggestions