International Condom Day History
International Condom Day seeks to promote the use of condoms as a means of preventing unwanted pregnancies and sexually transmitted infections (STIs). Condoms are thin rubber covers that a man wears on his penis during sexual intercourse as a contraceptive or as protection against STIs. Condoms are made from various materials such as latex, non-latex, lambskin and even female condoms. Condoms, latex and polyurethane versions, are the only method available to prevent transmission of STIs and HIV.
International Condom Day is promoted by the AIDS Healthcare Foundation in an effort to reduce the spread of HIV through safe sex practices. Since its inception in 2009, it has been an informal observance celebrated in conjunction with Valentine's Day.
International Condom Day Facts & Quotes
- In 2018, the theme for International Condom Day was Always in Fashion!.
- According to the CDC, 1 in 20 Americans will get infected with hepatitis B (HBV) some time during their lives. Hepatitis B is 100 times more infectious than HIV.
- According to the Center for Disease Control, there are more than 19.7 million new cases of Sexually Transmitted Infections in the U.S. each year.
- By twelfth grade, 65% of high school students will have engaged in sexual intercourse, and one in five sexually active teens will have had four or more sexual partners.
- The use of Condoms make for the only proven method for reducing the transmission of HIV and other sexually transmitted infections (STIs) during sex. 5 billion condoms are used worldwide every year.
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. - Benjamin Franklin
International Condom Day Top Events and Things to Do
- Keep condoms on hand so there is no excuse to use them if the situation arises.
- Say the Danish word for condom 10 times fast. Svangerskabsforebyggendemiddel
- Talk to your kids about safe sex and answer any questions they may have.
- Make a donation to the American Sexual Health Association (ASHA)
- Watch a movie or documentary about HIV/AIDS to understand the benefits of condoms. Some popular suggestions: Dallas Buyers Club (2013), Philadelphia(1993), Longtime Companion (1990), The Age of AIDS (2006) and AIDS, Inc (2007).