International Friendship Day History
International Friendship Day is a day designed to foster friendships and bridge the gaps between race, color, religion and other factors which keep humans from enjoying friendship with one another. Today, in such a global society, it is imperative that the leaders of tomorrow respect, include and understand world diversity.
International Day of Friendship was proclaimed by the United Nations in 2011 with the intent of building communities and helping move towards world peace. The United Nations encourages governments, groups and organizations to host activities and events that promote dialogue, acceptance and understanding between people of different backgrounds. This day is promoted by the UN as being observed July 30th, but is celebrated on the first Sunday of August in many countries.
International Day of Friendship Facts & Quotes
- In 1998, the UN Secretary's wife, Nane Annan, named Winnie the Pooh as the Ambassador of Friendship at the UN.
- According to studies, individuals with stronger social relationships live longer.
The International Day of Friendship is an important opportunity to confront the misunderstandings and distrust that underlie so many of the tensions and conflicts in today's world. It is a reminder that human solidarity is essential to promoting lasting peace and fostering sustainable development. - UN Secretary-General Ban-Ki Moon, 2013.
Friendship is the only cement that will ever hold the world together. - Woodrow Wilson
Friendship is the hardest thing in the world to explain. It's not something you learn in school. But if you haven't learned the meaning of friendship, you really haven't learned anything. - Muhammad Ali
International Friendship Day Top Events and Things to Do
- Let every one of your friends know how much you appreciate them - with a card, a letter, a phone call, an email, a text, etc.
- Practice Random Acts of Kindness on strangers and make some new friends.
- Smile at everyone you meet today, they may be your new best friend.
- Dedicate a song on the radio to your friends.
- Take pictures of yourself with your friends having fun together.