National Pizza Day History
National Pizza Day is dedicated to appreciating pizza, a baked flatbread that is topped with tomato sauce and cheese. Many toppings and sauces can be added to pizzas, including vegetables, meats and seafood. Pizza was invented in Naples, Italy around the 10th century, and has since grown to become one of the most popular foods in America.
In 1905, America’s first pizzeria, Lombardi’s, opened in New York. Since then, pizza consumption in America has increased greatly and many pizza chains, such as Pizza Hut, Domino’s and Papa John’s have emerged. The origin of National Pizza Day is not well understood although accounts of National Pizza Day began to emerge around the 2000s. It is celebrated annually on February 9th.
National Pizza Day Facts & Quotes
- The world's largest pizza, named Ottavia, was made on December 13, 2012 in Rome, Italy. With a surface are of 1,261.65 m², the pizza was made by Dovilio Nardi, Andrea Mannocchi, Marco Nardi, Matteo Nardi and Matteo Giannotte. To spread a message of good health, the pizza was made entirely gluten-free.
- According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s 2014 Food Survey report on the Consumption of Pizza, 13% of Americans consume pizza on any given day!
- According to a study done in 2013 by food delivery provider Foodler, 37% of North American consumers order plain cheese pizza, 52% order meat toppings and the three most ordered pizza toppings are: pepperoni, mushrooms and onions.
- According to gross sales earned by pizza chains, the top 5 American pizzerias are:
1) Pizza Hut, gross sales of $13.4 Billion
2) Domino’s, gross sales of $8.9 Billion
3) Little Caesars, gross sales of $3.4 Billion
4) Papa John’s, gross sales of $3.3 Billion
5) Papa Murphy's, gross sales of $7.85 Million
If I could eat whatever I wanted every day, I would have Domino's pizza with pasta carbonara inside every slice. And at night, I would have Neapolitan ice cream until I felt absolutely toxic. And then I would drift off telling myself, 'It's going to be O.K... It's going to be O.K. you're going to train in the morning'. - Robert Downey, Jr., Actor
National Pizza Day Top Events and Things to Do
- Visit your favorite pizzeria. Most pizzerias will offer discounts and specials to celebrate National Pizza Day.
- Attend a pizza festival! Here are some of our favorites to consider:
1) Cleveland Pizza Fest
2) Phoenix Pizza Festival
3) Pizza Festival - Los Angeles
4) Chicago Pizza Fest
5) Pizza Fest Seattle: Annual Punk Festival+Pizza-Eating Contest
- Make your own pizza at home from scratch. Make the dough, perhaps gluten-free or whole wheat, make the sauce using tomatoes and spices, grate the cheese and finally cover it up with all of your favorite toppings.
- Try a pizza with unique toppings. Here are some of our favorites:
1) Chicken Tikka Masala Pizza
2) Beer Battered Fried Calamari Pizza
3) Butternut Squash and Sage Pizza
4) Fried Chicken Pizza
5) Brown Butter Lobster and Spinach Pizza with Bacon and Fontina
- Make it a pizza and a movie kind of night. Watch the Academy Award nominees for ‘Best Picture’ (2016):
The Big Short
Bridge of Spies
Mad Max: Fury Road