Golden Globe Awards History
The Golden Globe Awards recognize achievements in film and television. Awards are presented annually by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association.
The Golden Globes were founded by a group of writers in 1943 who wished to formally acknowledge the best films produced that year. Together, these writers established and represented The Hollywood Foreign Press Association (HFPA), which is now made up of about 90 members. In order to be nominated for the Golden Globes, a feature-length motion picture must be screened in Los Angeles between January 1 and December 31. HFPA members must be invited to the screening. A nomination ballot is sent to each member with a list of motion pictures and television programs that qualify for nomination. Each member then votes and ranks five nominees within each award category. Entries with the most nomination rankings are announced at a press conference and a final ballot is sent to HFPA members to submit a final vote. The results of the final votes are only made public at the Golden Globe Awards ceremony. The Golden Globe Awards are usually held in mid January.
Golden Globe Awards Facts & Quotes
- The 2018 Golden Globe Awards has been scheduled. This will be the 75th Golden Globes and will air live on NBC from the ballroom at the Beverly Hilton.
- Actor Leonardo DiCaprio won the Best Actor in Drama Golden Globe Award for The Revenant (2015). In his acceptance speech, DiCaprio dedicated his Golden Globe Award to the Indigenous peoples:
And lastly, I want to share this award with all the First Nations people represented in this film and all the indigenous communities around the world. It is time that we recognize your history and that we protect your indigenous lands from corporate interests and people that are out there to exploit them. It is time that we heard your voice and protected this planet for future generations. - Leonardo DiCaprio
- Actress Meryl Streep received the most amount of Golden Globe Nominations - total of 29. She won eight nominations (not including honorary Golden Globe awards).
I've changed. Well, not as much as Bruce Jenner, obviously - now Caitlyn Jenner... What a year she's had. She became a role model for trans people everywhere, showing great bravery in breaking down barriers and destroying stereotypes... She didn't do a lot for women drivers, but you can't do everything. - Ricky Gervais while hosting the 2016 Golden Globes.
Golden Globe Awards Top Events and Things to Do
- View the Golden Globes ive on TV. Tune in earlier to catch the red carpet fashion and interviews.
- Attend a Golden Globe after party. For 2016, the most popular after-parties were hosted by:
HBO (Circa 55 Restaurant, Beverly Hilton, 9876 Wilshire Blvd., Beverly Hills)
Fox (Fox Pavilion, Beverly Hilton, 9876 Wilshire Blvd., Beverly Hills)
Warner Bros. and InStyle (Oasis Courtyard, Beverly Hilton, 9876 Wilshire Blvd., Beverly Hills)
NBC Universal, Focus Features, E!, Chrysler (Parking Garage Rooftop, Beverly Hilton, 9876 Wilshire Blvd., Beverly Hills)
- Create your own Golden Globe themed dinner. The official menu for The 73rd Golden Globe Awards included a California market salad; entre of filet of beef and steelhead trout with spaghetti squash; and for dessert a flourless Grand Marnier Carmella, lemon mousseline croquantine and California almond cake.
- Watch the top 3 US-grossing Golden Globe-Winning movies:
1) Avatar (2009)
2) Titanic (1997)
3) The Dark Knight (2008)
- To celebrate the Golden Globes, create snacks themed by your favorite TV shows and movies that have been nominated for a Golden Globe Award. Some ideas include hot spiced red wine inspired by Game of Thrones, using cinnamon, honey, cloves and nutmeg. Downtown Abbey can be celebrated with the perfect deviled egg platter, which originates from Edwardian times. Or, you can channel Frank Underwood in House of Cards by munching on BBQ ribs.