World Environment Day

World Environment Day Quick Facts - CA

HashtagsCompiled on#WorldEnvironmentDay, #WorldEnvironmentDay2024
Related Hashtags#BeatPlasticPollution, #Environment, #ProtectOurPlanet
2024 DateJune 5, 2024
2025 DateJune 5, 2025

World Environment Day

World Environment Day in
Days to go: 

Top X Posts (formerly Tweets) for World Environment Day -


World Environment Day History

World Environment Day is a globally recognized event to promote environmental awareness, sustainable living, and the protection of our planet for future generations. This observance focuses on themes such as biodiversity, air quality, and marine pollution, as well as encourages initiatives like reducing plastic waste, promoting renewable energy, and embracing sustainable development.

Canada's connection to World Environment Day dates back to 1972, when it was first established during the United Nations Conference on the Human Environment in Stockholm, Sweden. Being home to the world's longest coastline, the Rocky Mountains, and boreal forests, Canada's engagement in World Environment Day serves as a reminder for Canadians to preserve and protect these valuable natural resources.

To commemorate World Environment Day, communities and organizations across Canada observe the day with various activities and events. These may include tree planting campaigns, cleanup initiatives near water bodies, and community discussions highlighting environmental topics relevant to Canadians, such as the impact of climate change on the country's ecosystems. This observance not only helps create a more environmentally conscious society but also unites Canadians under a common goal of creating a healthier, more sustainable world for future generations. World Environment Day is held on June 5, serving as a reminder of the importance of advocating for and contributing to environmental protection and conservation efforts in Canada and beyond.

World Environment Day facts

  • Approximately 70% of Earth's oxygen is produced by marine plants. The remaining 30% is generated by terrestrial plants, including trees and other vegetation.
  • The Earth's average temperature has risen by about 1.1 degrees Celsius since pre-industrial times. This is primarily due to human activities.
  • It is estimated that about 18 million acres (7.3 million hectares) of forests are lost each year, equivalent to roughly 27 soccer fields per minute.
  • Logging and other industrial activities have led to significant deforestation, particularly in British Columbia and Alberta. Canada's vast boreal forest, which plays a crucial role in global carbon sequestration and biodiversity, is under increasing pressure.
  • Agriculture and industrial activities contribute to water pollution in Canada, affecting the quality of drinking water in some areas. Excessive nutrient run-off from farms can lead to eutrophication and harmful algal blooms in water bodies, adversely affecting ecosystems and wildlife.

Top things to do in Canada for World Environment Day

  • The Environmental Media Association hands out awards each year. Take a look at the nominees and winners and consider trying yourself.
  • Watch a film to learm more about the environmental issues facing Canada. Here are some suggestions:
    1. The Whale (2011) - This documentary tells the story of an orphaned orca named Luna, who made a connection with the people on the west coast of Vancouver Island, British Columbia, and raises awareness about the importance of preserving marine life and their habitats.
    2. Haida Gwaii: On the Edge of the World (2015) - This documentary showcases the beauty and environmental significance of the archipelago of Haida Gwaii, located off the coast of British Columbia. It highlights the efforts of local communities and indigenous people to protect their land and waters from various threats, including logging and overfishing.
    3. The Nature of Things – This long-running, award-winning Canadian television series, hosted by David Suzuki, features numerous episodes focused on environmental issues in Canada, including wildlife conservation, climate change, and pollution.
  • Read a book to learn more about environmental issues in Canada. Here are our top picks:
    1. The Big Thaw: Travels in the Melting North by Ed Struzik - This book gives a first-hand account of climate change's effects on Canada's Arctic and its people.
    2. Tar Sands: Dirty Oil and the Future of a Continent by Andrew Nikiforuk - This book exposes the environmental, social, and political impacts of the tar sands industry in Alberta, Canada.
    3. All That We Say Is Ours: Guujaaw and the Reawakening of the Haida Nation by Ian Gill - This book tells the story of the Haida people's fight to protect their land and water in British Columbia, Canada.

Copyright 2002-2024 © Sapro Systems LLC • About Privacy Policy License Terms Corrections & Suggestions