MTV Video Music Awards History
The MTV Video Music Awards is an annual award show that seeks to honor achievements in the music video industry. Conceptualized by MTV, the show has been hosted by MTV since its inception in 1984.
The award ceremony is usually televised live from either a venue in Los Angeles or New York, however the event has also been held in Miami and Las Vegas. Current award categories include Video of the Year, Best Male Video, Best Female Video and the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award for lifetime achievement. Although the nomination and award selection process has not been made transparent by MTV, viewers and fans are encouraged to vote for their favorite nominees within each category. Once announced, the winner of each category is rewarded with a symbolic VMA moon man trophy. The VMA awards are not held on a specific calendar day but rather on a Sunday in late August or early September as decided by MTV.
MTV Video Music Awards Facts & Quotes
- Madonna holds the record for the most MTV award wins. Over the course of the past three decades, she has won 20 MTV award. For Ray of Light (1998), Madonna won 6 MTV Video Music Awards.
- Peter Gabriel, rock musician, holds the records for receiving the most MTV VMAs in a single night. For his music video Sledgehammer, Gabriel won 10 awards in 1987!
- The award show is usually hosted by a celebrity figure, however, since 1984, the MTV VMAs have been aired without a host 5 times (in 2004, 2007, 2011, 2013 and 2014.)
- At the age of 16, Justin Bieber received the MTV Video Music Award for Best New Artist, making him the youngest artist to win a VMA!
And yes, as you probably could have guessed by this moment, I have decided in 2020 to run for president. - said by Kanye West at 2016 VMAs
MTV Video Music Awards Top Events and Things to Do
- Attend the MTV VMAs. For 2016 a limited ammount of tickets were available for purchase on Ticketmaster.
- Use Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to stay in the loop on current MTV Video Music Award happenings. Use popular hashtags such as #MTVVMA, #VMA2016 and #Redcarpet.
- Host an MTV Video Music Awards Viewing Party. Incorporate the MTV VMA theme by cutting out cookies and food in the shape of the moon man, the official trophy of the VMAs.
- Vote for your favorite MTV VMA nominees.
- Watch the top two music videos which have won the most number of MTV VMAs:
- Sledgehammer (1987) by Peter Gabriel, winner of 9 MTV VMAs
- Bad Romance (2010) by Lady Gaga, winner of 7 MTV VMAs