Memorial Day History
Memorial day is a US holiday to honor and remember those who died while serving in the military. Memorial day was formerly known as Decoration Day. In 1971, Congress declared it a national holiday. It also marks the unofficial start to the summer season.
Memorial Day Facts & Quotes
- There have been over 2.7 million US military deaths since 1775.
- The deadliest US War was the Civil War with about 600,000 US deaths.
- It is customary to fly a US flag at half-staff till noon on Memorial Day.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived. - George S. Patton
Memorial Day Top Events and Things to Do
- Attend a Memorial day parade. One popular parade is the National Memorial Day Parade in Washington DC.
- Visit the grave of a fallen soldier.
- Attend a Barbecue.
- Have a Picnic or go boating.
- Donate to a charity that serves veterans.